Vintage SMF Schramberg Ceramic Vase
SMF Schramberg pottery was established by Isidor Faist in 1820. Production was started in the Schramberg castle under the name Faist'sche Steingutfabrik. In 1829 Faist persuaded the Baron Ferdinand von Uechtritz to join him as partner. Steingut- und Majolikafabrik Uechtritz & Faist built a new factory increasing output. The company in the beggining of 1880s started to produce more and more for Villeroy & Boch. Finally in 1883 V&B bought the Schramberg pottery. The company continued operation as a Villeroy & Boch subsidiary.
In 1912 the factory was bought by Moritz and Leopold Meyer. They introduced the SMF mark. The firm was named Schramberger Majolikafabrik and in 1918 changed into a limited liability company (G.m.b.H.). The brothers persuaded many artists to design for them. The most famous have become designs by the Hungarian Eva Zeisel, which were produced in 1930s.
This lovely hand painted art deco era vase is approximately 4.5" high and 4.5" diameter. It is stamped with the logo & numbers on the bottom.